Icona fermata

Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena

The earliest known reference to the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena appears in a document of 1189 belonging to the Convent of San Nicola, in which the building is described as an oratory of the Parish of Santa Cristina. The original structure was completely remodelled during the early decades of the eighteenth century, to designs by Andrea Vaccà, adopting the ornate forms characteristic of the Baroque style.

In 1944, the church suffered severe damage during an air raid, and was subsequently rebuilt between 1947 and 1948 under the direction of Engineer Pera.

The Baroque façade is distinguished by its richly decorated eighteenth-century portal, executed in white marble with inlaid breccia. The upper section is adorned with two graceful scroll-shaped volutes supporting a projecting cornice, above which rises a large crowned coat of arms.

The interior consists of a single barrel-vaulted nave, terminating in an elliptical apse, and includes two small chapels opening from the second bay. The two side altars are embellished with stucco figures of Angels, attributed to Andrea Vaccà.

Per approfondire ulteriormente l’argomento è possibile rivolgersi ad una guida turistica specializzata.